I want to show you the prep, the poses and the lighting that go into shooting one of those classic fitness magazine covers that you see in the supermarket checkout line. White background, clean, crisp commercial lighting, three quarter length pose, really fit and sexy subject who looks really happy. Now do you know what I am talking about?
Fitness photography is actually pretty easy to do with the right gear and planning. So let’s talk first about why you would do it or should you do it the next time you are working with a model on his or her portfolio.
If you are a photographer that works with models this type of fitness shot can serve several purposes in a modeling portfolio.
1. It looks like a tearsheet. I am not suggesting you ad a title and words and make a pretend fitness magazine cover. Please don’t be that photographer. I am simply pointing out the psychology – since the photo looks like one of those shots you see on the magazines – it has a subliminal effect of making the model look experienced. We are not saying that he or she was actually on a cover.
2. This shot is a great body shot for the models book. Contrary to what Tyra Banks and Janice Dickinson claimed in their reality TV shows – a model doesn’t have to pose nude. In fact a model doesn’t have to pose in lingerie or even a swimsuit if that makes them uncomfortable. From a business perspective it is an economy of scale – the more things the model is comfortable with – then the more opportunities that may exist. All that said, if you are working with a model that is uncomfortable being photographed in swimwear or lingerie – the fitness shot is a great way to be able to show off body proportions without showing too much skin.
3. It’s a great way to show that the model really is in great shape. Action fitness poses are often not the most flattering. Even though this type of shot is very commercial and even kind of cheesy – it provides a modeling agency and potential client with a LOT of valuable information about the model.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS VIDEO
set.a.light 3D by Elixxier Software GmbH http://www.elixxier.com/
SUBSCRIBE so that you don’t miss NEW VIDEOS!
Help me HELP YOU: https://togknowledge.com
MY WEBSITE & BLOG
WANNA SEE MY GEAR?
SHOP FOR TOGSWAG℠
– Like & Follow on FACEBOOK: http://tog.chat/facebook
– Follow on TWITTER: http://tog.chat/twitter
– Follow on INSTAGRAM: http://tog.chat/instagram
– Check my boards on PINTEREST: http://tog.chat/pinterest
– Connect on LINKEDIN: http://tog.chat/linkedin
– Connect on GOOGLE+: http://tog.chat/googleplus
FTC – set.a.light 3D software was supplied to me by Elixxier Software GmbH. No payment was received for making this video and all opinions are my own.